After that last posting last night, I bit the bullet and went for it.  After all, I’d got the RTCC showing sensible numbers.  Why not make it show correct numbers?A few minutes ago...

To the right here is a photo I took of it just a few minutes ago.

Well, 5:03pm, to be precise!

The little blue board towards the bottom of the shot, sat on a piece of white card, held on by black insulation tape, is the RTCC, joined to the main board by that thick piece of black wire.  That’s actually four-core flex, so it carries not only the SDA and SCL lines I mentioned yesterday, but also the +5 volts and ground connection.

You’ll also notice that none of the LED’s are lit tonight.  This isn’t because that bit of the circuit has broken:  Far from it, it’s working too well, in that the LED’s are too bright to work around!  Trying to focus on something when there are little green dots in your eyes is a little off-putting!

When I came to check the time this morning as I switched my computer on, it disagreed with the computer by about four seconds, until the computer logged into time.windows.com for Internet time, then the two agreed completely.

It works -better than my PC clock!  Whether it will still work up at The Plots, given the extremes in temperature, and being kicked around in the top shed, well, we’ll have to see, but so far, it’s looking good.

The little chip about halfway down on the right hand side is the MCP23008 i/o chip that was controlling those LED’s, while the big black one towards the bottom is the PIC.

Now, this MCP23008 is an 8-channel device, and I’ve only used four of the pins as outputs for the LED’s.  This means I have up to four spare pins, which I’ll be using shortly to make the input circuit I mentioned last night.

All good, harmless fun!

More soon…

Print Friendly